This is a 2nd shift position covering 4 days per week - 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Completes analyses on suspected reports or alerts of fraud and escalations on various suspicious events or Bank products. Takes appropriate actions to prevent and/or minimize losses against M&T Bank and its’ customers.
• Review established detection system-generated alerts to identify fraudulent activity related to merchant, check ACH (Automated Clearinghouse), wire, digital banking and account openings or review all reports of fraudulent activity related to check, card, wire, At-Risk Adult and identity theft claims. Determine action required based on established procedures to protect the Bank’s assets; work with management on handling of more complex cases as required.
• Place appropriate hold on accounts and bank access devices deemed with fraudulent activity. Track and document action taken in a timely and correct manner to provide a record of activity and meet audit and compliance requirements. May open cases in the established case management system to include all records as defined by management.
• May investigate potential fraud by researching activity via Bank systems and vendor-purchased programs or by assigning an investigator to each case; contact other personnel within and outside the Bank to obtain supporting information. Escalate potential fraudulent schemes identified through the research process for the engagement of law enforcement personnel or for use of the Investigator.
• Communicate, in a professional manner, with customers, merchants, financial institutions and other Bank personnel to resolve system problems or request additional information and/or documentation to support a decision on whether fraudulent activity has occurred.
• Assist in identifying and developing process enhancements to maximize efficiency of fraud detection activities as required.
• Remain current on national and world fraud trends to incorporate into daily activities as appropriate.
• Maintain accurate records containing known data triggers to support identification of fraudulent activity.
• Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
• Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
• Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
• Complete other related duties as assigned.
• The position works under general supervision and is responsible for identifying fraudulent activity and trends at an early stage to minimize Bank fraud-related losses and increase profitability and may include loss prevention for products and services offered Bank customers. As such, the position may require significant contact with customers, financial institutions and other Bank personnel through calling and verifying questioned transactions (alternative contact methods are used if telephone calls are not effective). If assigned to the weekend and/or night shift, the position must be able to work unsupervised.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice, Financial Crime Investigation, Auditing or related field, or in lieu of a degree a combined minimum of 2 years’ higher education and/or related work experience.
• Demonstrated analytical skills
• Proficiency with personal computers
• Basic knowledge of pertinent word processing, database and spreadsheet software
• Ability to effectively communicate and interact with all customers and pertinent internal contacts
• Ability to make decisions quickly and accurately and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Able to work holidays and be available for flexible work scheduling
IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED:
• Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Financial Crime Investigation, Auditing or related field
• Work and/or college experience in fraud or criminal justice
• Knowledge of Bank systems
At M&T, we strive to be the best place our employees ever work, the best bank our customers ever do business with and the best investment our shareholders ever make. So when looking to advance your career, look to M&T. As a top 20 US bank holding company and one of the best performing regional banks in the country, we offer a wide range of performance based career development opportunities for talented professionals. And through our longstanding tradition of careful, conservative and consistent management and a strong commitment to the communities we serve, we continue to grow with a focus on the future.
'Relevant Military Experience is Desired'
Apply today at www.mtb.com/careers!
M&T Bank Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
M&T Bank Corporation does not sponsor individuals for the purpose of obtaining H-1 Visas.
M&T Bank Corporation has policies and procedures in place to promote a drug free workplace.